All of the items listed in this section are required for students admitted to the College of Nursing. It is the responsibility of the student to ensure that their laptop has the required software installed upon admission and it is updated throughout their his/her time as a student. At all times, the laptop should be capable of running the software below or contain the necessary hardware listed.
Upon admission, students will be given access to an orientation checklist. The checklist provides instructions on how to access each of the software programs listed. Completion of the technology orientation checklist is required prior to being given access to an individual's nursing academic courses.
If you have questions regarding any of the hardware or software required, contact the OIT Helpdesk at 1-800-799-7472 and identify yourself as a future nursing student or email the College of Nursing Instructional Design Team at email@example.com.
- Operating System. OS 10.12 Sierra
- Processor. Intel Core 2 Duo, i3, i5 or i7 processor
- Hard Drive. 250 GB hard drive or solid state drive
- RAM. 4 GB
- High Speed Internet Connection. We require a minimum connection speed of 20 Mbps.
- Ethernet Port
- Ethernet Cable
- Safari Browser (free)
- Mozilla Firefox Browser (free)
- Chrome Browser (free)
- Java (free)
- Microsoft Office 2011 or newer. Once your account is set up by the OIT Helpdesk, you can purchase this for $10 through Texas A&M's software store.
- Examsoft. Software will be provided upon admission. Practice quiz will be provided.
- HESI Readiness. Successfully complete practice (mock) HESI test at www.hesiinet.com
- Unity Web Player for Shadow Health (free)
- Flip4Mac WMV Plugin. About $9 and available at http://www.telestream.net/flip4mac/download.htm
- The Neighborhood
- Adobe Reader (free)
- Adobe Flash Player (free)
- Antivirus solution. You may choose which antivirus solution to us, but you must have one.
- Scanning capabilities. You may use a mobile app (such as Turbo Scan) or visit a store which provides scanning services (such as Fed Ex Office).
- Computer microphone
- Computer headset and/or ear buds