All of the items listed in this section are required for students admitted to the College of Nursing. It is the responsibility of the student to ensure that his/her laptop has the required software installed upon admission, and it is updated throughout his/her time as a student. At all times, the laptop should be capable of running the software or contain the necessary hardware listed.
Upon admission, students will be given access to an orientation checklist. The checklist provides instructions on how to access each of the software programs listed. Completion of the technology orientation checklist is required prior to being given access to an individual's nursing academic courses.
If you have questions regarding any of the hardware or software required, contact the OIT Helpdesk at 1-800-799-7472 and identify yourself as a future nursing student.
- Operating System. Windows 7 or 10. Windows 8 is NOT supported.
- Processor. Intel Core 2 Duo, i3, i5 or i7 processor
- Hard Drive. 250 GB hard drive or solid state drive
- RAM. 4 GB
- Battery Life. Minimum of 6 hours required. (8 hours recommended)
- High Speed Internet Connection. We require a minimum connection speed of 20 Mbps.
- Ethernet Port
- Ethernet Cable
- Internet Explorer Browser (free)
- Mozilla Firefox Browser (free)
- Chrome Browser (free)
- Edge Browser (for Windows 10 users only) (free)
- Java (free)
- Microsoft Office 2016. Once you are registered for classes, you can purchase this for $5 through Texas A&M's software store.
- Examsoft. Software will be provided upon admission. Practice quiz will be provided.
- HESI Readiness. Successfully complete practice (mock) HESI test at www.hesiinet.com
- Adobe Reader (free)
- Adobe Flash Player (free)
- Windows Media Player (free)
- Antivirus solution. You may choose which antivirus solution to use, but you must have one. Avoid Web Root or AVG due to conflicts with other required software.
- Scanning capabilities. You may use a mobile app (such as Turbo Scan) or visit a store which provides scanning services (such as Fed Ex Office).
- Computer microphone
- Computer headset and/or ear buds