- Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree and RN license to practice in the State of Texas
- NursingCAS Application and application fee
- Official transcripts from all schools attended must be sent to NursingCAS using the NursingCAS Transcript Request Form (former Texas A&M students must request to have their Texas A&M transcript sent to NursingCAS); Request all transcripts early in the application cycle. Carefully review further instructions under the Official Transcripts heading below.
- Apply Texas Graduate Application and application fee
- Elementary/introductory statistics three-semester credit hour class with a minimum grade of "C" completed by the first class day
- Professional resume
- Three professional references
- Essay/personal statement submitted through NursingCAS
- Minimum overall grade point average of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) in all undergraduate course work
- Minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) in the last 60 hours of undergraduate course work.
- Applicants with foreign credentials must submit a transcript evaluation report to NursingCAS and official documents to the university. See other requirements.
- Applicants from countries other than the United States must meet the international admission requirements for those seeking a graduate degree according to Texas A&M University policy. Because the majority of course content is delivered online, international students often are not eligible to apply.
- Admissions interview, if requested by Selection Committee.
NOTE: The College of Nursing does not require the GRE or the GMAT.
Degree & Licensure
Applicants must hold a baccalaureate degree in nursing from an institution of higher education that is both accredited by the appropriate regional accrediting agency and either NLNAC or CCNE.
Applicants must hold a current, unencumbered Registered Nurse license to practice in the State of Texas (if graduation from BSN program is pending, must show proof of conferred degree before entry and active RN licensure by the end of the first semester if admitted to the program).
Two applications are required:
- Complete a NursingCAS application and pay a non-refundable application fee. Search for graduate programs for Texas A&M University: MSN-Family Nurse Practitioner or MSN-Nursing Education. Upload essay, resume and reference information.
- Complete an Apply Texas Graduate Application and pay a non-refundable application fee designating the appropriate program of interest: Select Nurse Practitioner - Family, MSN from the drop down menu.
- Activate Texas A&M Applicant Information System (AIS) portal upon receipt of email instructions after completing Apply Texas application.
NOTE: You do not need to resend transcripts or answer another essay as part of the ApplyTexas process. The AIS site will show that your application is incomplete since all nursing applicants must send transcripts and answer the essay in NursingCAS; do not let this alarm you. The College of Nursing will notify you directly when your application is complete for all required credentials. For information regarding application evaluation, please see Admission Criteria.
NursingCAS Coursework Entry
- List every course with college credit in the NursingCAS application as they appear on each of your transcripts
- Use a personal copy of your transcripts to enter all courses chronologically
- List all planned or in progress coursework to be completed before the program start date
- NursingCAS will verify your self-reported courses against your official transcripts once received
- NursingCAS will return your application if corrections are needed. Failure to update corrections needed by the deadline date will constitute an incomplete application.
- You can make updates to your coursework for grades earned after submitting the application, but these cannot be made until your first submission has been verified. Once you receive final grades, log into your CAS application and enter these courses again as new courses along with the grade earned. Final grades earned through the summer term are required. Failure to update final summer grades will deem your application incomplete.
Official college transcripts from each institution attended must be sent directly to NursingCAS very early in the application process. Regardless of how many credits were earned or how long ago you attended, we must have official college transcripts sent from all schools.
As soon as possible, enter the schools attended on the CAS Application Secondary School & Colleges Attended tab. Once entered, you will see a link for the Transcript Request Form. Print this form and provide it to the registrar’s office at each school as it indicates the address for mailing; this form links your transcript(s) to your NursingCAS application.
Applicants MUST list all colleges attended on both the NursingCAS & the Apply Texas applications; failure to list all institutions attended will result in an incomplete application.
Note: Transcripts requested by an applicant within the last few weeks of the application deadline may not be received in time (depending on the institution's response to the applicant's transcript request). The College of Nursing will NOT extend deadlines for transcripts received after the deadline, therefore, it is imperative that all transcripts be requested early. Applicants who fail to follow these instructions will have their application deemed incomplete with the College of Nursing.
One Required Essay- Required essay should be uploaded electronically in NursingCAS.
- For MSN-Education, write to the following prompt: Describe the role of the nurse educator in healthcare today. Include professional and/or personal experience(s) that have prepared you for this role.
- For MSN-Family Nurse Practitioner, write to the following prompt: Describe the role of the family nurse practitioner (FNP) in healthcare today. How do you plan to apply an FNP education to advance health care? In what healthcare setting do you see yourself in three to five years? Include professional and/or personal experience(s) that have prepared you for this role.
Professional Resume- uploaded electronically in NursingCAS
RN license - uploaded electronically in NursingCAS
Three Professional or Academic References
Designate those who will write your references early in the application process. Reference contact information will be entered into Nursing CAS for them to submit an electronic reference form via email. We strongly encourage you to enter the reference contact information as one of the first things done within the NursingCAS application to expedite this step. Reference writers must submit their information through email so ask them their preferred email address.
Do you meet our requirements? If so, we encourage you to visit the link below to begin the application process.